04 December 2012

Endlessly photographed buildings

Palisade #1 (2009) conte crayon drawing on paper by Joseph Stashkevetch


While some artists create hyper-realistic drawings imitating photography, Peter Liepke produces New York photos that feel like charcoal or graphite drawings but are platinum/palladium prints.


Peter Liepke says: « In a world far from perfect, I am more interested in the aspect of showing the viewer what could be, or the visual way in which I see the world as opposed to simply photographing a bleak literal interpretation that shows the viewer what is.»

« Maybe my visual philosophy contradicts the medium of photography itself, but if we don't hold true to our own vision, then why bother doing it?»

« My pictures are made by hard work,patience and quiet observations, using a 100 year old Graflex sheet film camera and 19th century printing processes. In our digital age of rapid fire cameras and gigabytes, I believe my methodology and approach projects my contemporary vision forward, while at the same time celebrating the roots of photography in its purest form.»


 A Quick Smoke


 A Tree in Brooklyn


 Biker BoyZ


 Greenwich Village


 Ladies & Gentlemen, the Chrysler Building


 Macy's


 Manhattan Bridge at Sunset


 Morning Coffee


 Standing Guard


The Show



Peter Liepke says: « The aspect of making deep political, social or philosophical statements with my photographs is not a priority for me.»


And he lets instead Raymond Steiner – editor of Art Times Journal – speak:


« Where is it written that our sensibilities must be sullied by the seamier side of life along with our intellects?  We know the world is a vale of tears. Must art pile it on in yet heavier doses?

There was a time when the world thought that the artist was chosen, and that they were on a mission not to tell us what we have but what we might have if we'd only get our act together and see beyond the obvious.

Art was supposed to transcend life, not imitate it. Crap is obvious – and I for one am wearied by its presence. Show me please the light at the end of the tunnel.

Show me yet once again how beauty can nourish my inner being.

Don't show me what is, show me what can be, and how I might get there – even if only in my mind – as I lose myself in a painting, a musical score, a poem or a photograph.»